Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sad News

So, in case you may not have known, I was an avid podcast listener. Last year, my summer was filled with This American Life, Left, Right, & Center, and my favorite, Skeptics Guide To The Universe. Well, I made a decision to start up a new business, causing my life to be busier than ever, and pretty much cutting out listening to all podcasts. As it goes, I kind of lost that joy of listening to these podcasts and recently started up the listening again. Now, mind you, it has been almost a year since I have listened to these shows...shows that are updated once a week. Thus, I have missed approximately 40 some shows. Well, as I was listening to the Skeptics Guide today, I noticed a voice was missing in the cast of skeptics...a notable voice. As the episode wore on, I realized who the missing voice was, Perry DeAngelis. This man had a gravely voice that carried a tone of sarcastic, crude humor that I have always thoroughly enjoyed. But, he wasn't there and no one on the show mentioned where he was. So, sitting here tonight watching TV and fooling around on the computer, I decided to check out the SGU website to find out if they kicked Perry off the show...thinking it would be rather ballsy as Perry was one of the cofounders of the skeptic movement for this group. As I looked through the cast of characters, I came across Perry's name and saw that it mentioned that he has passed away. Passed away! I stared at the computer screen in disbelief. He passed away from what! The last podcast I had heard, he was sick..returning the next week...and that was where I left off...missing that week..month..almost a year to learn he never made it back! Anyway, I never met the man, I do not know him personally, he has no idea of my existance...but yet the news of his death makes me feel so sad. His witty skepticism not only touched me...but many others from all over. I just want to say, almost a year late, peace out Perry and thanks for your voice...a voice that made me realize that I am not the only weirdo out there for thinking the way I do.
Here is a link to his memory: www.perrydeangelis.org and a link to SGU..check it out as they are super cool www.theskepticsguide.org

No comments: