Thursday, June 5, 2008

No More Yard Duty!

So, you may not know this, but one of my many jobs includes noon duty at my son's elementary school. I usually go 3 days a week and drag poor, little Jake along with me. There are positives and negatives to this job...but I prefer to dwell on the positive. Hey, why not..it keeps me smiling! Anyway, this job entails standing outside with a flashy orange vest, wearing a whistle, and having the power to scare the heck out of little kids. Now, do not think that I purposely scare kids...I hate seeing kids cry. But, I do enjoy sneaking up on them when they are doing something wrong and seeing the look on their little faces when they see me. Today was the last day I see the 6th graders, the last day little Kindergartners come to me with issues...

quote that I must share of a Kindergarten girl:
"She is ruining my life!" screams the little girl as she points to her classmate. This was said after another little girl accused her of chasing a boy!

This is the last day of dealing with Kick Ball drama, he's bugging me, she won't be my friend, I hurt myself, and sorry, I won't do it again. I plan on returning next school year as I do enjoy the happy moments of receiving dandelion bouquets, smiling little faces, brief hugs, and thanks for catching that ball. Most of all, I will miss when I'm off duty..no orange vest...an awe inspiring look as someone recognizes me, tugs at mom or dad's sleeve, points, and says, 'hey, she's my yard duty.' Working at the school is a rewarding, challenging, and delightful experience. Aaah, if I hadn't dropped out of college so many years ago...I might consider teaching!

No comments: